2021 PGA Championship Sleepers and Longshot Picks
Xander Schauffele watches his tee shot on the third gap throughout the first spherical of the Wells Fargo Championship golf match at Quail Hole on Thursday, Could 6, 2021, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Picture/Jacob Kupferman)
- The PGA Championship tees off Thursday (Could twentieth) on the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island, in South Carolina
- Xander Schauffele has completed sixth or higher seven occasions in his 15 Main begins
- Learn beneath for evaluation of the occasion and our favourite sleepers and longshot performs
Golf’s second Main of the season is right here, and the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island, on paper in any case, tasks to be essentially the most troublesome Main Championship venue of all-time. Measuring in at over 7,800 yards, with a 155 slope, and nestled alongside the Atlantic Ocean, this monitor is a beast and if the wind picks up, look out.
In fact, sky excessive scores have been additionally projected on the 2017 U.S. Open at Erin Hills, a course of comparable size that may additionally play treacherous within the wind, however the breeze by no means surfaced that 12 months and the successful rating was -16.
2021 PGA Championship Odds
|Golfer||Odds to Win||High-10 Odds||High-20 Odds|
|Si Woo Kim||+13000||+900||+400|
Odds as of Could seventeenth at DraftKings and Bet365.
As of proper now, the climate this week seems comparatively calm, however whatever the forecast one factor is for positive. A match of this magnitude is most certainly going to be gained by a top-15 participant on this planet. Because the 2017 Masters, 11 of the previous 12 Main winners on U.S. soil have been claimed by gamers ranked contained in the top-15 on this planet, with the lone exception start Gary Woodland on the 2019 U.S. Open.
Consequently, we’re not going to stray too deep when trying to find a longshot winner, and the primary identify displaying a ton of worth is World #4 Xander Schauffele.
X Gon’ Give It to Ya
Xander presently owns the seventh shortest odds to win the PGA Championship, which feels disrespectful given his current historical past at Majors. He’s going to breakthrough and win one among these tournaments quickly, and this course seems like a main spot to take action. He’s racked up seven top-6 finishes in his 15 Main begins, with 4 of these outcomes being T-3 or higher.
— The Masters (@TheMasters) April 9, 2021
He hovered across the lead over the weekend on the Masters final month earlier than ending third, and completed T-5 on the beforehand talked about U.S. Open at Erin Hills. He ranks third on this complete subject in complete strokes gained over the previous 100 rounds, whereas checking in at quantity seven in strokes gained tee-to-green, eighth in brief recreation, and thirteenth in ball hanging.
As for his current type, he’s completed fifth or higher six occasions this season in 12 occasions, and has gained strokes tee-to-green and ball hanging in all however one begin. He’s one of many premier drivers on this planet, and has performed a few of his greatest golf on the longest programs on Tour.
Decide: Xander Schauffele to Win Outright (+2200)
Casey Can Deal with Main Championship Situations
It wouldn’t be a Main week with out not less than some motion on Paul Casey. The Englishman got here so shut ultimately 12 months’s PGA Championship, ending runner-up to Collin Morikawa, and his recreation has been rock stable ever since.
How does that not drop for an ace!?
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) April 29, 2021
He’s gained strokes ball hanging in eight straight tournaments, and has additionally proven an enormous enchancment with the putter. Notoriously his weakest hyperlink, Casey has truly been optimistic with the flat stick in 4 of his previous six measured occasions, and gained 5.3 strokes on the greens at TPC Sawgrass, a Pete Dye designed monitor similar to Kiawah Island.
Decide: Paul Casey High-10 End (+500)
High-20 Worth Picks
- Matt Wallace (+400): Because the starting of April, few gamers have flashed a greater tee-to-green recreation than Matt Wallace. He’s gained not less than 6.1 strokes tee-to-green over every of his previous three measured occasions, and not less than 4.6 strokes together with his ball hanging throughout that very same stretch. He excels on lengthy, troublesome tracks, and has completed nineteenth or higher in two of the previous three PGA Championships, together with a third place lead to 2019.
- Si Woo Kim (+400): In case you’re on the lookout for narratives this week, don’t sleep on Si Woo Kim’s dominance on Pete Dry tracks. Two of his three profession wins have come at Dye programs (Gamers Championship and AmEx) and he additionally owns a runner-up end on the RBC Heritage. Over the previous 50+ rounds, solely six different gamers have gained extra strokes complete on Dye designed programs than Kim.
- Matt Kuchar (+450): A kind of gamers to realize extra strokes than Kim is Matt Kuchar, who’s racked up three top-18 leads to his previous 4 begins. After almost a 12 months’s price of depressing ball hanging, Kuch has discovered some consistency together with his irons, gaining on strategy in three straight measured occasions. If the wind picks up, and the situations toughen, he’s precisely the kind of participant who can grind out a t-20 end, largely due to his terrific brief recreation.
Chris started his profession at Hockey Evening in Canada over 15 years in the past. He has since labored at TSN for over 12 years as a author, line-up producer, subject producer, newsroom supervisor for Sportscentre, and presently as a promotions producer.